We did it ma!
Finally after months of on-again-off-again mixing, recording, weeping, deleting, re-recording, wiping and finally remembering to press “save”, this mix is done and dusted like rhubarb and custard.
The tracks contained within are:
2. Large Professor – Ijustwannachill
3. UTFO – Split Personality
4. Fat Boys – All You Can Eat
5. Double Dee & Steinski – We’ll Be Right Back
6. De La Soul – Buddy
7. Nice and Smooth – Hip Hop Junkies
8. Grand Puba – 360 (What Goes Around)
9. Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince – Girl Ain’t Nothing But Trouble
10. Ice Cream Tee – Guys Ain’t Nothing But Trouble
11. Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince – Parents Just Don’t Understand
12. Afroman vs. Too Short – Freaky Rap (Mike’s crowbar)
13. Biz Markie – The Dragon
14. Beastie Boys – Boomin’ Granny
15. Doug E. Fresh – Nuthin’
16. Doug E. Fresh – All The Way to Heaven
17. Masters of Ceremony – Sexy
18. Dana Dane – We Wanna Party
19. The Jaz ft. Jay Z – Hawaiian Sophie
20. Kwame – U Gotz 2 Get Down (Mad Bone Age remix)
21. The dance lesson, featuring:
- Chemical Brothers ft. Fatlip – The Salmon Dance
- Disco Twins & Starchild – Do the Whop
- Joeski Love – Pee-Wee’s Dance
- World Class Wreckin’ Crew – Cabbage Patch
- Gucci Crew II – The Cabbage Patch
- EPMD – The Steve Martin
- Digital Underground – The Humpty Dance
- Kid and Play – The Kid and Play Kickstep
- Freak Nasty – Da Dip
- Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince – Dumb Dancin’
22. Public Enemy – Cold Lampin’ With Flava
23. UMCs – Blue Cheese
24. CB4 – Sweat from my Balls
I hope you enjoy it. It’s meant to be an antidote to the overly earnest rapping that is too-often heard. It’s supposed to be fun!
Next on the list, a nice little summer funk and soul affair. Keep those ears peeled.
I’m always talking to my super elite DJ friends about how I’m such a creative fountain that I have too many ideas for mixes (that I never finish). One of these is a mix which I’ve dubbed “the wob mix” in my head because it’ll include songs that have unusual sounding synths in it.
So far I have two songs in mind – Rebbie Jackson’s Centipede and I can’t wait by Nu Shooz. Admittedly they don’t have any particularly unusual synths in but the weird (sampled vocals?) riff in I can’t wait and the falsetto “CENTIPEDE” chorus qualify them. now I just need another 28 songs or so and I’ll have a mix.
Another one I have in mind is for super minimal hip hop – just vocals and drums. I have a lot of songs from about 1985 so far. I think it’s going to be quite harsh. The name? SM58Tr808.
As we career headlong into the joy of another family Christmas, this seems like as good a time as any to share the Christmas mix I made last year.
Bruce Haack – I like Christmas
The Dogg Pound – I wish
The Showboys – That’s what I want for Christmas
James Brown – Go power at Christmas time
Run-D.M.C – Christmas in Hollis
Hard Call Christmas – My Christmas bells
King Sun-D Moet – Christmas in the city
Spyder-D – Ghetto Santa
Busy Boys – Funky fresh Christmas
Dana Dane – Dana Dane is coming to town
Trecherous 3 – Santa’s rap
Disco 4 – He’s Santa Claus
Super Jay – Santa’s party rap
Kurtis Blow – Christmas Rapping
Wu-Tang Clan vs. DJ Wax On – C.R.E.A.M.Y Christmas
The Waitresses – Christmas Wrapping
and an ASDA advert!
Merry Christmas and don’t eat too many Roses. The chocolates. Eat as many of the flowers as you like – it’s probably one of your five-a-day.